Linux - Install Ecere in Fedora 12

General help: new users, installing the Ecere SDK, using the IDE to compile and run applications.
arturus

Linux - Install Ecere in Fedora 12

Post by arturus »

Hello,

How can I install Ecere in a machine running Linux Fedora 12?

Thank you.

Arturus
jerome
Site Admin

Re: Linux - Install Ecere in Fedora 12

Post by jerome »

Hi Arturus,

We don't have any RPMs yet, but I built and installed it easily enough on RedHat and CentOS, so it should be relatively easy.

- Click the big download button on the main page (0.44pre1)
- Extract to a folder
- Run make
- If you run into any compiling errors, you might be missing a -devel package
If you need help figuring it out, just post in this topic again we'll do our best to help you
- Once it says the Ecere SDK is successfully built, try a 'sudo make install'

You should be all set. Again if anything goes wrong, post here. Any tip will be useful for the next person who tries to install Ecere on Fedora.

Enjoy!

Jerome
arturus

Post by arturus »

ecere_make_logfile.txt
Output of the 'make' to show warnings
(32.64 KiB) Downloaded 1089 times
jerome wrote:Hi Arturus,

We don't have any RPMs yet, but I built and installed it easily enough on RedHat and CentOS, so it should be relatively easy.

- Click the big download button on the main page (0.44pre1)
- Extract to a folder
- Run make
- If you run into any compiling errors, you might be missing a -devel package
If you need help figuring it out, just post in this topic again we'll do our best to help you
- Once it says the Ecere SDK is successfully built, try a 'sudo make install'

You should be all set. Again if anything goes wrong, post here. Any tip will be useful for the next person who tries to install Ecere on Fedora.

Enjoy!

Jerome

Jerome,

Yes! I can confirm that Ecere can be installed on Fedora 12 following the above steps. There are no errors but only a lot of warnings during the 'make' which I did as a user (not root) . Then the 'sudo make install' command installed the Ecere IDE on the Development menu. Now I need to test the SDK and I'll do that as soon as I can. I don't know any kind of C (I came from Pascal/Delphi mainly) but your eC is making my mouth water.. :) I think I saw some project examples to download, I'm not sure but will investigate. Otherwise I'll write a simple hello world test program and try to compile it to run under Windows XP.

I am attaching the file ecere_make_logfile.txt - the output of the 'make' so that the warnings can be seen.

Thank you very much, Jerome, for the quick answer. I really hope to find my new developer way with the help of your great Ecere.

Greetings!

Arturus
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Hi Arturus,

Thanks for sharing with us your positive Fedora Ecere install experience :D

I'm glad all went well.

Those warnings are normal and harmless. We hope to get it to build cleaner in the future.
Some warnings are fixed already, we had a Mantis bug ticket # to solve that, so next release should indeed be cleaner.

Look in the sdk/samples folder of that tarball you downloaded, there are plenty of great samples for you to build, try out, and study. Don't forget to read the Tao of Ecere Programming as well, it should be included in the doc/ folder. Join us on IRC if you have time to hang around with us and ask for help here in the forums or there in FreeNode #ecere. And don't forget to listen to the The Ecere Song :P.
arturus

Post by arturus »

Oh My! You are incredible! :) You also compose music, play and sing?! And the music, the lyrics and the singer voice(s) are cool! What can one expect more from a Open Source SDK author? Thanks a lot, Jerome!

ps: I'm going to plunge in the tao.pdf and the 'samples' folder! This is very complete indeed. Thank you.

Arturus
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Hehe that's my brother singing...
He's not particularly proud of that version of the song...
If he ever forgives me for putting it online, he might record a better version :P

Btw that's sung to the tune of The Backstreet Boys - I want it that way :P

Actually, the Tao is very much incomplete. Only the first 2 sections are a 'first draft', the rest is missing in action. But these 2 first sections provide a good overview of the eC language.
The remaining sections will cover the GUI toolkit and the rest of the runtime library features.

The samples should help you in that regard though (the missing sections), and don't hesitate to ask for help. (really, don't be shy, because there's no other way to learn Ecere at the moment).

Good luck!

Jerome
arturus

Post by arturus »

Hello Jerome,

I tried to run the clock sample from the IDE and got this:

Code: Select all

Default Compiler

clock-Debug.Makefile - Makefile doesn't exist. Generating  makefile for Debug config...
Building project clock using the Debug configuration...
Compiling...
-o
   gcc: debug/clock.c: error: No such file or directory
   gcc: no input files

clock (Debug) - 1 error, no warning
Can you help me, please?

ps: Your brother is a good singer :) From the The Backstreet Boys I can only remember the great song "Incomplete". May me your brother can adapt it for the Tao book? :roll:

Arturus
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Arturus,

Did you try other samples? Do they all do the same thing?
Or just creating a new project with a form, and trying to build that?

If you open a 'terminal' and type 'ecc' [enter] what do you get?

This is strange!

Something else that would be useful... This should have generated a file in the clock sample directory, called clock-Linux.Makefile or something like that. You can paste me the output:

make -f clock-Linux.Makefile [ please correct the makefile with the proper file name if I got it wrong ]

Thanks,

Jerome
arturus

Post by arturus »

Jerome,

I started by creating a simple new project with a text box and a button within a form (the same kind of the example in the Tao) and got the same error. Then I tried the clock and others. Same error.

If I open a terminal and type 'ecc' I get:

[arturus@localhost ~]$ ecc
Syntax:
   ecc [-t <target platform>] [-cpp <c preprocessor>] [-o <output>] [-symbols <outputdir>] [-I<includedir>]* [-isystem <sysincludedir>]* [-D<definition>]* -c <input>
[arturus@localhost ~]$ 
With the clock example what was generated was a file named 'clock-Debug.Makefile'. So the output of 'make -f clock-Debug.Makefile' is:

[arturus@localhost clock]$ make -f clock-Debug.Makefile
gcc -fmessage-length=0 -m32   -Wall -g -D_DEBUG   -c -o debug/clock.o debug/clock.c
gcc: debug/clock.c: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files
make: *** [debug/clock.o] Error 1
[arturus@localhost clock]$ 
Please note that the Ecere IDE buttons do not have graphic symbols inside although they seem to work. I saw some references to this same problem on the forum 'Platform Specific Support - Linux' in Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm under the Subject 'Re: Debian/Ubuntu packages available for Ecere 0.44pre1' and without knowing what I'm doing (I'm new to Linux) I issued the command 'ear v /usr/lib/libecere.so' and got the following:

[arturus@localhost ~]$ ear v /usr/lib/libecere.so
File is not a valid ECERE archive: /usr/lib/libecere.so
[arturus@localhost ~]$ 
I don't know if this is important.

Thank you.

Arturus
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Arturus,

Those .c files are supposed to created by the ecc compiler.
ecc compiler seems to be in your PATH so that's OK...

Here it looks like make isn't invoking that ecc compiling step.
Can you do 'make -v' to see what version of make that is?

Then you could try:

make -f clock-Debug.Makefile debug/clock.c

To force executing that rule to build clock.c ...
Even before it invokes ecc, it should do the pre-compiling step which should invoke ecp...
Is that debug/ directory there, and does it contain any files? It should have a clock.sym if ecp was executed properly...

Also you could try:

make -f clock-Debug.Makefile clean -- see if that does anything, it should get rid of any file and start the build from scratch...

make -f clock-Debug.Makefile -n

Which should list all of the commands make will execute.

It should look something like this:

mkdir debug
ecp   -fmessage-length=0 -m32   -Wall -g -D_DEBUG -c clock.ec -o debug/clock.sym
ecc   -fmessage-length=0 -m32   -Wall -g -D_DEBUG -c clock.ec -o debug/clock.c -symbols debug/
gcc -fmessage-length=0 -m32   -Wall -g -D_DEBUG -c debug/clock.c -o debug/clock.o
ecs  debug\clock.sym debug\clock.imp -symbols debug -o debug/clock.main.ec
ecp   -fmessage-length=0 -m32   -Wall -g -D_DEBUG -c debug/clock.main.ec -o debug/clock.main.sym -symbols debug/
ecc   -fmessage-length=0 -m32   -Wall -g -D_DEBUG -c debug/clock.main.ec -o debug/clock.main.c -symbols debug/
gcc -fmessage-length=0 -m32   -Wall -g -D_DEBUG -c debug/clock.main.c -o debug/clock.main.o
gcc -m32 debug/clock.o debug/clock.main.o -lecere -o debug/clock
Just some things to try to get a clearer picture of what's going on... It's all very odd.

Also for the button graphics missing, that's quite strange also. The building process should have added them to the ecere runtime library, with ear. You could try deleting sdk/ecere/release/libecere.so* and then hitting 'make' again in that sdk/ecere/ subdirectory and see what happens. It should build libecere.so and then invoke ear to add the resources to it.
Are you using a shell different than bash? I don't know what could have caused this either.

Hoping we can resolve this together soon!

Jerome