Debugging error - no make file

General help: new users, installing the Ecere SDK, using the IDE to compile and run applications.
Sharhebe

Debugging error - no make file

Post by Sharhebe »

Hi, I'm having a problem with my new ecere prog. I try building my project using the Debug configuration, but it keeps telling me that no such file or directory exists. I've uploaded a screenshot of the problem. Help please.
Attachments
Screenshot - errors.docx
(119.7 KiB) Downloaded 1074 times
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0.
Everytime i time i touch my code, i give birth to ten new bugs.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
richard567

Re: Debugging error - no make file

Post by richard567 »

Hi Sharhebe,

I am not an Admin and I am new to Ecere and just an amateur programmer but I think I had the same problem on my first project initially.

Try removing spaces out of the filename(s) for the .epj and related files, etc. I think that corrected my compile issue. NOTE -- I would recommend if you try this to recreate your project in another folder but leave out the spaces in all file names, folder names, etc. as you recreate the project. That way, if I am wrong, you still have your original. The default Ecere install folder name also contains spaces but that was not a problem.

Otherwise maybe change directory settings under Project>>Settings.

Hope that helps.

Richard
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Dear Sharhebe,

Yes the problem is that you have a space in the project file name, and that is not supported.
Many thanks Richard for pointing that out!

There is a registered issue about this ( http://ecere.com/mantis/view.php?id=156 ) which states we should either make it work, or not let the user do it. My apologies that this is still not fixed.

The solution: Delete the .epj file you created. Please create a new project, this time starting with a letter, and sticking to alphanumeric characters or the underscore for the rest of the project name. Tick off the 'Create new form' checkbox.
Avoiding spaces in the source files (.ec files) would be a good idea as well.
Then right click on the project node (e.g. 'myProject.epj (Debug)') and chose 'Add files to project', chose your existing .ec files, and try building the project again.

The Ecere Tao of Programming recommends avoiding spaces on page 6.

Remember: don't hesitate to ask for help here if you get stuck again.

Cheers,

Jerome
Sharhebe

Post by Sharhebe »

Ok, I'll try that. Thanx very much.
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0.
Everytime i time i touch my code, i give birth to ten new bugs.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.