New Ecere SDK pre-release September 5, 2010

General help: new users, installing the Ecere SDK, using the IDE to compile and run applications.
sanyaade

Re: New Ecere SDK pre-release September 5, 2010

Post by sanyaade »

Hello Everybody,

I compile the latest edition of ecere sdk yesterday afternoon and run it on two of my students account.
Everything went well but I need to wait till tomorrow (Monday) when it will be tested with the actual class using the sdk. There are 15 students in the group so this should prove if things are ok! :roll: .

So I wont be able to give you guys the full account until then.

redj :
On the portableapps edition of ecere SDk, I will link you up on IRC. Currently ecere sdk is portable and I have been using it myself and with my students for over a year now.
What I noticed recently is that the current edition is now putting the sdk samples into document and settings/application/ecere sdk/samples. so we have to manually copy them back into the ecere sdk folder. The samples should reside in the sdk folder as part of the sdk.

Thank you all for the loads of feedback and support. I will post the full account of whatever happens tomorrow following the guide lines given in your posts.

We still the ability to be able to attach pdf :mrgreen:

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
sanyaade
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Sanyaade,

I already allowed PDF documents in the forums, try it out.

The reason the samples are now placed inside the Documents folder is because Windows Vista / 7 will not allow compiling them if they're within the Program Files folder.

Working on the next course work now! I'll email you soon.

Cheers,

Jerome
sanyaade

Post by sanyaade »

Evening Everybody,

Well first of all, I have to thank Jerome for sending the course right from the first chapter up to now. I got chapter3 again today. Many thanks!!!.

Next is the good news which means that all the students were able to compile, build and run their work today. I know you want to slap my wrist for some overlook. The problems were due to project settings --> Linker configuration not linking the ecere.dll with the build. so after pointing the ecere dll to the ecere --> bin folder, and ticked the console options then followed by having/doing a re-build the application build and run smoothly.

A pauser here! What is/are the difference/s between the ecere.dll and ecereCOM.dll? is it only the component object facilities or there is more to it? Linking either ecere.dll or ecereCOM seems to work.
Also is ecereCOM cross-platform (alas CORBRA) or only work for the Windows platforms? Just my penny pause here.

Thank you everybody! You are great guys. I have students to do a small write-up to annotate how to setup a project inside ecere SDK. Also they should sign at the forums as well.

Now I need a dinner. Speak to you guys later. KUDOS:)

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
Sanyaade
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Hi Sanyaade,

You're most welcome, I'm glad these coursework are useful.

I hope they help your students to get a good grasp of what's written in the Tao, of the C programming language (which is by many criteria the most important programming language: all the most crucial code for performing fundamental tasks is written in C, almost all platforms have C compiler, and so many languages were influenced by C), of eC and object orientation (as we will dive into Module 2 on object orientation concepts very soon), and the Ecere library as we start writing fun GUI and graphics projects with Ecere, and of programming in general.

I'm also glad all students were able to compile today, that's great news!
Now I'm wondering what did you have in Project Settings / Linker ? Was ecere in there?
Was ecereCOM in there? By default, ecere should come up in the Linker tab automatically when creating a new project (whether Console or not). And the path to Ecere SDK/bin (typically C:\Program Files\Ecere SDK\bin) should be in both File / Global Settings / Libraries and File / Global Settings / Binaries.

On Windows, Libraries is for 'linking' and Binaries is so that when running it will find the ecere.dll at the proper place. So please let me know about that, because your student shouldn't need to do anything special to the projects after the Global Settings are properly configured. I want to make sure things are kept simple for them so they can focus on coding! :) (And doing all these exercises I'm preparing for them, they must hate me by now :twisted: )

About ecere.dll vs ecereCOM.dll. ecereCOM is the core runtime that powers the core eC language functionality, such as its reflection ability, its runtime dynamic module loading, and a small set of core eC functions. All of the coursework so far except for bringing up a Form and dialog will work with ecereCOM without a need for the Ecere library.

The Ecere library adds things like the GUI toolkit, networking system, graphics capabilities, and a lot more.

To use ecereCOM instead of Ecere, you must NOT import "ecere" anywhere in your code.

Because the ecere.dll contains a copy of ecereCOM (so that applications can work with a single ecere.dll), applications using Ecere should link with "ecere" in the project settings.

Applications to be deployed with ecereCOM only should link with "ecereCOM" instead in the libraries (and not import "ecere"). They should then be packaged with the appropriate dll.

However linking with ecere, while not importing "ecere", will also work. The application will simply pick up the Ecere COM functionality from the ecere.dll. That is what the default projects will do, and that should be perfectly fine. More details about ecereCOM can be found in the Tao on the section of importing libraries (page 96), but the ecereCOM specifics is an advanced topic that you shouldn't need to bother with, unless you want to write eC code that does not make use of the Ecere library and package things as tightly as possible.

About ecereCOM cross-platform nature: well obviously the shared libraries will only run on the target platform for which they were built. However the Distributed COM system, which allows creating objects and invoking their methods remotely, will work across different systems. So yes, it was designed in the same spirit as CORBA. The ecereCOM library on Linux is libecereCOM.so .

Ecere COM is basically how eC modules are organized and cataloged, allowing the compiler, the application, the IDE, and tools like the Documentor to query the classes implemented in each module.

Looking forward to meet your students on the forums!

All the best.

Jerome