Hello from Ottawa, Canada

Introduce yourself to the community and warmly welcome new users here.
cloutiy

Hello from Ottawa, Canada

Post by cloutiy »

Hello,

15 years ago I took Computer Science in college. I loved programming. It allowed me to use both sides of my brain. There was never a single solution to any problem, and the fun became how to express the solution in the most elegant way.

But as I was graduating the tech industry here was crashing and most of the positions available were now more tech support or network administration.

Nevertheless I have kept an interest in programming and programming languages.

A few years ago I started developing a markup language for typesetting books. I liked LaTex, but didn't like that you almost had to be a programmer to be able to figure it out. It's just too complicated for many people. So I came up with something I would enjoy using...under the hood it generates GROFF code which can then be output as PDF. You can have a look at it here:

https://github.com/cloutiy/tml

I have had many other ideas, some that I think could be feasible for me to create, but have not yet found that special language to work with and try to master. Ec seems like a very nice language, and being so closely related to C, also is familiar. There are so many different languages to choose from now, and so many different paradigms to consider...it can make you go crazy. My philosophy has always been keep it simple...and unfortunately nowadays, many of those languages are not so simple.

I hope to meet some of you at the meetup in Ottawa next week!

Yves

PS I love how the community is not too big and how accessible and helpful the creator of the language is. The tooling that's available is a big bonus as well. You can tell a lot of work has gone into providing a great experience and feeling supported. Hat;s off to you Jerome
jerome
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Ottawa, Canada

Post by jerome »

Warm welcome to the eC/Ecere community Yves!

Thanks for introducing yourself. Looking forward to meet you at the meetup next week!

RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/eC-Programming-Language-Meetup/