Hello from Wisconsin, USA

Introduce yourself to the community and warmly welcome new users here.
mrdean

Hello from Wisconsin, USA

Post by mrdean »

I just wanted to say hello and give a little background (hey some people actually enjoy reading people's backgrounds, I do!) on myself.

My name is Kevin and I first fell in love with programming after writing my first one line basic program on our new Commodore Vic 20. At that moment I realized I could command this machine to do whatever I wanted! I was hooked and forever fell in love with computers. I was then about 10 years old.

Much later in life I started doing some freelance web development part-time and landed my first real computer job working in a small IT Dept. for a Higher Education facility.

For the past eleven years I have mainly worked for various higher education facilities and currently work for a University as a web developer. Most of my experience is geared towards web development and related technologies, although I have played around with application development. The gap between web application and desktop application development is narrowing.

When I am not working I enjoy reading, meditation, and taking my two Huskies on long walks.

I am looking forward to working with the Ecere SDK and interacting with the community.
jerome
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Wisconsin, USA

Post by jerome »

Hi Kevin! Welcome to the Ecere community :)

I had a similar start as you, really beginning programming with QuickBasic when I was 11-12.

However before I jumped to QuickBasic, I had first hit myself onto the complicated aspects of oriented-object programming in C++ (before knowing anything at all about programming).
I came back later to C (now understanding what programming is all about), with some left-over bitterness towards OOP and C++ in particular.

In the end I ended up realizing the value of OOP and designed eC, which I must admit, is inspired by some features of C++, and turned out somewhat similar to C#/Java, despite me knowing little about those.
The gap between web application and desktop application development is narrowing
Yes it is! And in fact we're hoping to really jump onto that with Ecere. We've been wanting to offer the web as a target platform for Ecere, and we even built some prototypes towards this goal. However the team is small and our resources limited :( You wouldn't be interested to contribute your web development experience to the project by any chance, would you? ;)

I wish for these forums to be the friendliest programming community on this planet and beyond, so don't hesitate if you need help with anything at all!

A warm welcome, and all the best wishes!

-Jerome
mrdean

Post by mrdean »

Hello Jerome,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I would love to contribute any of my skills to the project if they can prove useful? I think eC is an awesome project and worth any time I put forth on it :D
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Kevin, this is really good news! We are in dire need for more contributors.

We have a bug tracker at http://ecere.com/mantis, which categorizes all bugs to fix and features wished to be developed.
But due to your experience with web development, perhaps we could have a chat about this! Do you know anything about Google's NativeClient / NaCl ?

Please see this topic regarding our web dev projects.

Thanks!

-Jerome
mrdean

Post by mrdean »

Hi Jerome,

I created an account with Mantis. I'll look over the queue when I get a chance.

I actually did read something about NaCl quite a while back. Thought it sounded interesting, but no I have no experience with it. On a similar note I more recently viewed a video on Google's V8 engine which runs Javascript as native code by compiling it on-the-fly.

Anyway I read your post and found it interesting. I think we have a lot in common. The past couple of years I have been thinking a lot about web development, desktop development and how I might leverage it all in the future. I have flip-flopped a lot and recently came to the conclusion that I liked a hybrid type of application where a desktop app would leverage a server side counter part. Your ideas were interesting, more out-of-the box then what I had considered.

I'll be hanging around so contact me for a chat anytime :D