Facebook API

Forum for talking about anything else Ecere/eC related.
mothdragon

Facebook API

Post by mothdragon »

Okay, I admit I haven't looked much into this yet, but in order to use the Facebook API it's recommended that you use Flash or Java or some other some such. Apparently, only the insane are likely to try doing it in C++(though a few have)...

So... How easy would it be to use the Facebook API with eC? Or to otherwise write a Facebook App?
--==[[ Mothdragon ]]==--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Everything New is Old, Everything Old is New. Nothing exists, and it's all here.
jerome
Site Admin

Re: Facebook API

Post by jerome »

Facebook API... I have no idea. Ecere is certainly not the easiest way to write a Facebook app/game.

If it is indeed possible to integrate a C/C++ game as a Facebook App, then the exact same way would apply to Ecere. Although it's certainly more about how the GUI and graphics are integrated that matters, not the language. If those people wrote C/C++ Facebook App, they might have used a special toolkit, which again would not be the Ecere GUI and graphics toolkit...

However, checkout this topic which is about our own ideas for web applications! :D (No Facebook support planned, sorry :P)

Regards,

Jerome
mrdean

Post by mrdean »

I worked with the Facebook API building a Facebook application. It was a small application that ran as a web app within Facebook.

Facebook puts out SDKs for different languages they support. I was leveraging their PHP SDK. I don't know off hand if they have an SDK for C/C++? Either way it could be done and they do have an option for running an app on the Desktop. That almost could prove interesting expect I think their framework is pretty buggy and NOT worth the effort? I also think Facebook is going to more on the decline as time goes on.

Just my opinion.
mothdragon

Post by mothdragon »

The big reason that I'm interested in Facebook, is because of the advertising, and the traffic. The advertising is already there and expected, so it's not like "adware." And because of the traffic, it has the potential for reasonable income while still making the app free for everyone.

If it is in fact on the decline, which of course most of the Facebook written publicity would deny any possibility of, then something must be taking it's place... The only thing I personally am aware of(admittedly not researched) is Google+, but no one that I really know uses that...
--==[[ Mothdragon ]]==--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Everything New is Old, Everything Old is New. Nothing exists, and it's all here.